Skip to main content

Communication: The Strength of a Verbal Gesture

Teacher's Creed: "If I've given you anything of value, take it and make it better. If I've given you anything that is worthless, throw it into the ash can of history."

- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

I thought it necessary to open with a quote from one of the greatest minds in human existence, the man who is widely considered the dean of deans and the scholar of all scholars. I did so because of his ability to convey a message and have his audience hanging on his every word.
I seek to do the same thing, to have the same effect on those who tune-in to my frequency. It is the commanding communicator who can touch the hearts and tap into the minds of a people.

I speak with hopes that my words will form a map that my listeners can follow on their quest to a place of healing and wholeness. I've said many times, both verbally and written that communication is to a relationship what blood is to the body -- life giving. And if you remove either one, death will be the inevitable result. For some of us, all it takes to make a difference in our situation or in the life of another is to extend and exercise the strength of a verbal gesture; carefully aimed words with good timing will hit their mark and change a life, or save one.
There are relationships that ended when they didn't have to because either one or both parties refused to set aside their selfish differences and talk to each other, not at each other. Due to their spoiled, adolescent behavior, they divorced and went their separate ways.

There are friendships that ended when they didn't have to because communication was abandoned. I've often sat in a amazement of how people have no problem expressing their undying love for each other when the sun is shining and all is going well but, when the temperature changes from fair to frosty and circumstances get a little rough, they stop talking, or, they resort to yelling at each other's faces which is the equivalent to pouring gasoline on a fire. What happened to the art of communicating? What was the determining factor that caused us to stray away from a good conversation; the talks that you never wanted to end because you were stimulated by the energy of the deliverer who's words were melodic and medicinal?

 I think I know one reason. I'll share it with you in the form of quote from another great mind:

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."
-- Albert Einstein

With technology having advanced to where it is today, it is possible to have a virtual conversation sitting in your own home with your spouse, children, etc without uttering a word face to face. This has weakened our ability to look one another in the eye and carry on a meaningful conversation. Though technology has done some wonderfully amazing things, it has and continues to strengthen us in our weaknesses. Our words are power. Power, in this context is energy. Energy is what fuels our ability to do what we do on a daily basis, but you must be connected to a power source. It isn't until you plug in and turn on a vacuum cleaner that you can use and get optimum results. The same is true when it comes to communication; you have to plug into your source of energy in order to be effective. Has someone ever said something to you that made you feel better? I'm sure they have, and that is an example of the strength of a verbal gesture. I always say that when you encourage a person you empower them with confidence. The right words at the right time spoken with the right energy can make all the difference in the world to someone who needs a pick me up. Hell, it will do wonders for you too knowing that you said something that changed the course of someone's day, or life.


Some of our most effective communicators have changed the course of history because they knew how to speak to a situation. Men and women like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X, Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, Martin Delaney, Ida B. Wells, Dr. Frances Cress Welsing, Dr. Julia Hare, Barbara Sizemore, Angela Davis and Fannie Lou Hamer.

A man or woman with a microphone who has vision, a plan and the oratorical ability to capture an audience is more apt to develop a huge following than a man or woman with a gun who is tyrannical in their endeavors. Some of my best accomplishments came when I was allotted the time to verbally express myself. I was able to change the perspectives of the listener by causing them to consider other viewpoints, not to do away with their current mode of thinking, but causing them to see past the present reality that has been defined for them. Then they could draw their conclusions after basking in the cerebral waters of the spoken word.

I AM  a communicator. Some say I am great. I say I am honest enough with myself to stand flat-footed and speak truth to you. For there can be no personal development without practicing self honesty. I cannot help you if I lie to myself. It was the strength of a verbal gesture communicated to me from someone who cared enough to talk to me so I'd receive the herbal cure contained in the nectar of their designation versus talking at me and having me reject the dosage altogether.

By Craig D. Samuels
5/20/2018

For my Soul-Life Coaching services click on  https://calendly.com/csamuels

I can also be reached by email at


Also, Don't forget to subscribe to my 5 day ecourse and download my book for a one time offer of $1. The links are located below. Thank you!

[IMMEDIATE DOWNLOAD] My Mother's Guilt, My father's Sin: The Death Of Innocence  http://bit.ly/2HExYFD

Please subscribe to my 5-day ecourse: Breaking Free From Painful Memories & Healing the Wounds of Dysfunction https://goo.gl/eUxLGb


Comments

  1. The Wynn Las Vegas - MapyRO
    Find 동두천 출장안마 the 군포 출장마사지 Wynn Las Vegas location, 목포 출장마사지 rates, amenities: expert 이천 출장샵 Las Vegas research, only at Hotel and Travel Index. Browse 김제 출장마사지 real-time prices and

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Pains and Poison Cookies: The Dangers of Substitutes and Alternatives

I thought about this title, its concept and what it would actually entail if I decided to turn it into a book. I thought about it for many years, since 2011. After many sessions of self-reflection in the area of decision making and observing the decisions of others and the consequences of those decisions, I finally said to myself -- the time is now. The necessity of such a book is vitally important in a time where it is the norm to want what we want and go after what we want by any means necessary. The problem with that is the desire to have what we want often overrides the importance of what we need. We hunger for the want at a rate much higher than that of the need, which usually results in filling the void of hunger with something or someone that ends up making us sick, or worse, and that is the poison cookie. How many of you can remember when you were children playing with a set of blocks that came in an array of shapes, sizes, and colors? Some of the blocks had letters and oth

Compassion Fatigue: Going the Distance Without Giving Up Or Giving Out

If you've ever been in the position of being someone's primary care giver, you will definitely relate to what is to follow. If you are working in the medical field in any capacity, i.e. nurse, doctor, certified nursing assistant, physical therapist, clinical counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker, parent, and even as a mentor or life coach, you too will also relate to the content of this blog. the title 'Compassion Fatigue' is a professional term who's primary use is in the arena of vocations where working in close proximity to a patient/client is required, such as the aforementioned in the first paragraph. The definition of Compassion Fatigue, according to University of Tulane Professor Dr. Charles Figley is two-fold:  1. The emotional residue or strain of exposure to working with those suffering from the consequences of traumatic events. It differs from burn-out, but can co-exist. 2. The mental and physical exhaustion and emotional withdrawal e

Contempt: The Seed That Familiarity Breeds

First, I'd like to start off by apologizing to those of you who enjoy reading my blogs for the long delay in between articles. I've been dealing with a few health issues. But today I feel well enough to sit down and share with you one of the many observations that has caused me to want to write about it. The brother in the above video is Alvin Brown; if you listened to it you already know what he does and what his credentials are. In this four minute segment he makes several statements regarding the title of this blog that can be used as good talking points. The first of many for me was at the 1:32 mark where he says, "Sometimes when you get familiar with something or use to something you overlook the value of it." This is very true. But let us take an up close and personal look into why. How many of you recall when you were younger and everything you got came out of your parent's pocket? You got a new pair of sneakers, mom or dad bought them. You got a ne